Thursday, December 17, 2009

Allergies and alternatives and all that jazz.

So we've learned that Matthew has milk allergies. No big surprise there, but I don't know, I guess I was hoping for the best. Or living in denial. He's suffering from reflux and diarrhea, which is also giving him horrible red raw bottom and he had not gained any weight since being at the hospital. I think the lack of weight gain is because of the diarrhea. Poor guy. So once again I've cut milk out of my diet. It's not that big a deal, but initially you crave what you can't have. That part is annoying.

Kevin made a discovery in doing some research to try to get rid of the yeast issue we've been having. Coconut oil is antibacterial and anti-fungal, so we picked some up. So far it's helping me feel a little better. It has great soothing qualities. And it smells good:) Anyway, I mention it because I was craving a cookie and only had butter to bake with. (Yeah, I just bought 4 lbs of butter from Sam's and now I can't use it!) So after a little more browsing around the interweb I found out that you can substitute the coconut oil for what ever butter or oil you might have wanted to use otherwise. And it gives it a yummy extra flavor. It's not really sweet, but the essence of coconut comes out so you get this hint of sweetness with out the sugar. And that's good, too, since I'm trying to cut down on our sugar intake as well. (I discovered Agave nectar, btw. It is yummy! No weird after taste like veggie glycerine.)

So along with the allergies and yeast issues...he's sleeping mostly through the night! Great, you say! Not so much! Also a contributing factor to his lack of weight gain. Babies aren't supposed to sleep through the night. Especially breastfed babies. So I wake up engorged, while he sleeps peacefully. Don't get me wrong, the sleep is great! But I'm having to wake him up which is not so great. He gives me this look like "Are you nuts? You REALLY want me awake right now?" It's comical. I must say though...the combination of stuff I'm having to do to get him healthy is definitely making for a happier baby. He's not nearly as cranky. He'll actually be awake for an hour or so and NOT cry or wail the whole time. It's actually NICE.
***
Now...if I can only figure out what to do with the other two kids to make them happier and less cranky. Since Kevin has been gone this week all they seem to do is argue and cry over every little thing. Anthony even got in trouble at school the other day. Twice! Odd for him, since he's usually such a "good" kid. If this is any foretaste of what this coming deployment is going to be like...I think I might have to get myself some happy pills so I don't lose my mind:)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've wondered about agave but hate the nasty after taste you get with so many other "natural" sweeteners.Thanks for taking the chance for me. :)

Grammy

Anonymous said...

Breastfeeding through the night* is tough, but necessary, like you said. Your Diet is affecting him as well. Coconut oil, Yes. Great research DAD! Agave has no after taste, Just yum.

LOve You, Kisses to All!
Cami*

Susy said...

Agave rocks! You might also try xyletol or erthytol (I'll have to recheck my spellings). They taste like sugar but are natural substitutes. Yeast can't use it like they can sugar, because it's missing one of the enzymes or some such thing. If you'd like more info, let me know - you can bake with both!