Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Endocrinologist.

I met with my Endocrinologist today. He's a very blah sort of person. Kind, but...has like the personality of a rock. At least he was thorough and let me ask questions and answered them without making me feel like an idiot like some doctors do.

So the up side to my thyroid issue is that there are some things that can be done to correct the issue. The down side is also what can be done about correcting the issue. Since I've "relapsed" into hyperthyroidism that means that the medication 10 years ago did not fix the problem. This means that if I do the medication regimen that it is most likely that I will relapse again at some point. And the medication is dangerous to infants in the womb and can cause serious things like hypothyroidism in an infant that can be fatal or devastating. So the suggestion is to wait three years after finishing the medication regimen before trying to get pregnant. The second option is radioactive iodine therapy which would basically kill my thyroid and make me have to be on hormones for the rest of my life. The third option is to have it surgically removed, which can be dangerous because the vocal cords are so close that damage can be done causing me to be hoarse for the rest of my life. And then also having to be on hormones for the rest of my life.

Nice options huh?

Maybe I could just pretend nothing is wrong? I didn't even know anything was wrong until I had my blood tests done. Ignorance was bliss!

No comments: