Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Good morning.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Easter. We did. It was nice and quiet and we spent the day together playing games and being silly. Nothing special, but it was nice.

I made a cheese cake and roast chicken and a salad for a special meal. All in all it was lovely.
~~~
I haven't posted my meal plans in a while, so I thought I would today.

This week will be as follows:

Homemade Calzones with roasted veggies, pesto and mozzarella

French Onion Soup with Fresh Bread

Oriental Chicken Noodle Salad

Sweet and Sour Pork over Rice

Philly Cheese Steak Sandwiches with Fries and Fruit

Jamaican Jerk Flank Steak with Broccoli and Potatoes

Baked Ravioli in Red Sauce with French Bread

The trick is to buy enough Flank Steak to use the left overs for the Philly Cheese Steaks. The Oriental Chicken Salad is using the left over Roast Chicken from Easter. It all sounds pretty fancy, but it's not really too tough. Homemade everything....makes for about $30 in groceries. Not bad and great meals.

A great reference for meal planning is Rachel Rays Everyday Magazine Weekly Menu. She always has good stuff, and you can change the meal plans to use what you have. There are also tons of meal planning sites out there. If you Google The Organizing Junkie she has something that she calls Menu Plan Monday that a lot of people participate in. It's fun to see what other people are making and then make up your own plans from their ideas.

I also don't have a bread machine so all my bread is done the old-fashioned way. Here's my yummy recipe.

Let sit over night 1/4 tsp yeast, 1 cup warm water, 2 cups flour mixed together.

The next day mix together the sponge that you made the night before, 2 cups of warm water, 1 tsp yeast, 6 cups of flour and 2 tsp salt. Knead it until it all comes together. It will be sticky but that's ok. Once in a nice ball, let it rise for about 2 hours to double in size. Punch it down. Heat your oven to 425 and form the dough into 2 loaves on a baking sheet. Let rise for about 45 minutes. Bake them until the interior reads 210 on an instant read thermometer. Yummy!
~~~

Friday I'm supposed to go to the doctor to see if we can figure out what is going on with my back. For a few months now my back has really been bothering. But now it's getting so miserable that I want to live on Vicodin and avoid driving at all costs. Hopefully it's nothing a Chiropractor can't fix. Or a massage...or ten. Toss a prayer up for me! Thanks!

No comments: