Saturday, February 07, 2009

Every once in a while....

It doesn't happen that often...But every so often, I will do something that I think is helpful for me, and nice for others. And some how, for some reason, someone always seems to find something bad to accuse me of.

Here's what happened today.

I've been going through our things.When we moved here we had next to nothing and we were dirt poor. In fact lots of people gave us things and I don't know how I can ever repay the kindness that has been done to us. But I try to do the same for others because I know from personal experience the hard things that military families have to go through sometimes. Anyway, I've been filtering through our belongings because I don't want to have to move more than we have to. We have a lot of extra things that we have accumulated over the last year and a half or so. Decorative items that I got at thrift stores, some extra furniture, duplicates of things, extra kitchen items. Just stuff we don't need. And things we can't take, like plants. And things that could help others. So I put a listing on PendletonYardSales that I was going to be moving things outside to the sidewalk that we don't want, so people can go through them, and so we could go through the garage some more. I was giving things away! Not a yard sale. I was GIVING it all away. Trying to be nice, and saving time because having a yard sale honestly is a pain sometimes. It was great. Lots of people came, and my neighbor pretty much adopted all my potted plants. Everyone was really nice! And then I came inside to find this email from "dum@yahoo.com"...

What the hell is wrong with you, "putting your stuff out on the curve". Why do people do that? It's so insulting to assume people who need it will come and take your crap! At least put it on your lawn. Let the needy Marines that need your stuff walk away with some dignity! You jerk.

Needless to say...it made me feel kind of crappy. In fact I just wanted to cry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well they identified themselves adequately, didn't they though. Pity the person.

Anonymous said...

He or she is the jerk. Don't let them get to you. You were trying to be nice. They are still caught up with too much pride to accept help. Take care.