Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The beginning of the beginning.

Yesterday for the first time I took Anthony to the preschool story time at the library.

It was something that I had aimed at doing before, but just hadn't gotten to do.

I discovered that my son is a lot like me in certain ways. He is scared of things, until he actually
takes the steps to do them. And then what do we discover? It's not so scary after all.

I remember back to my first day at preschool. Montessori preschool. So much fun, looking back on it now. However, I remember crying my eyes out and hollering that I didn't want to go on my first day! After I actually went the first time, though, it was a blast and I realized that it was something I could do.

The unknown is very scary to us though. So trying to get him to participate in things initially is like trying to pull teeth. I can imagine that the first day of school will be the same way. I'll probably have to have Anneliese babysat while I accompany him for a day or so just to let him know it will be ok.

It was big day for him, yesterday. First day of Tae Kwon Do as well. After the initial 15 minutes or so he stopped being so self conscious and started to interact. He really enjoyed being able to kick at another kid without getting in trouble for it! It was so funny to see him trying to kick at a paddle and then get swatted on the bottom with it when he missed. His eyes were as wide as saucers! It was so funny. He had fun though. And when he realized he wasn't in TROUBLE for missing he started to have fun with it, kicking higher and harder each time. He's pretty uncoordinated, but I think he'll start to get it with time. He's got these long arms and legs that don't seem to want to cooperate with what his head is telling him. Makes me wonder what his teenage years will be like:)

They grow so fast, don't they?

No comments: