Wednesday, November 28, 2007

The birds are back.

During and following the fires here in San Diego County it was so extremely smoky. The air quality was horrendous. So it was no surprise that nature found hiding places. It seems that just this past week the birds have all come back home. In an abundance. We go outside to find crows all over the front lawn, while the little birds like to rest on our back fence partition and gate. And the humming birds are loving the lavender that we planted in the front "garden". It's lovely really. I didn't realize I had missed them until I noticed that they were back. The other day I sat outside on the front walk for a few minutes watching the humming birds collecting nectar. Granted the children were standing at the screen door asking why I was taking so long...but I explained fresh air is good for the lungs.

Its neat, too, to wake up in the morning to their noise making. Anneliese sits straight up in bed and says, "What's that?" And I tell her it's the birds outside, and she gets out of bed and goes to the window and pulls the shade string noisily sending birds scattering in every direction. Which sort of defeats the purpose of getting to see them. But she catches a glance and squeals happily and shouts "BIRDS!" at the top of her lungs.

Simple pleasures.

No comments: