Saturday, September 01, 2007

Floor napping and run away children/panicked mothers


I was just reading my cousins blog and thinking, "God bless her!" She has all the same children issues that I do....only times 9! Whew. She's a great mom. I hope I can have that much patience some day:)
~~~

Well our day consisted of little activity. Around 11am I laid out the blanket for Anneliese to take a nap, laid down next to her, and fell asleep myself. Gotta love it. Woke up a few hours later feeling rested to the sound of Anneliese screaming "MINE MINE MINE!"

Shortly thereafter one of the neighbors came to the door sobbing-- "Is my son here?!"

"Umm...No!"
Her son is one that frequently visits us. He and Anthony are the same age. She let's him play right behind their house at the park, checking on him periodically to make sure he's fine and that he hasn't run off somewhere. Well, this time he did. And he was nowhere to be found. I ended up gathering together some of the neighborhood moms and kids to help look for him. We went through the whole neighborhood, and no one had seen him or heard from him. PANIC. He has a tendency to go in peoples houses without telling her...so I thought maybe he had done that, and I tried to reassure her that everything would be ok. Eventually she ended up calling the MP's because he was no where to be found, and we were all starting to panic and venture into other little parts of the neighborhood that are divided by a main road. The MP's found him about 45 minutes later in a part of the neighborhood about 5 blocks away. He was fine. Had followed some other children over there, and was clueless about the panicked state of his mother. But he was over-joyed to be getting a ride in the MP's car. Like WOW with guns and stuff. Then, as if she and her husband weren't upset enough already, they tried to arrest her husband for child neglect. Reported him to his command who then called and chewed him out, and PMO. Poor lady was still really upset when she called to tell me about it and thank us for helping to look for him. There are some people who let their kids run wild and neglect them, but they aren't some of them. She's overly protective if anything. So we came to an agreement that if my kid runs off and she sees him she'll tell him to go home immediately, and I'll do the same. Children will be children after all.

That was enough excitement for today.
Good night!

3 comments:

Susan said...

OMG! Who hasn't had a child just kinda wander off? Reporting them was stupid. I'm angry about that, but maybe your agreement will help some. Glad to hear that you're getting some rest.

Celeste said...

I agree that it was stupid and totally unnecessary. She was SOBBING her eyes out and they are trying to accuse them of not paying attention. It was just stupid. Anyone with boys knows that they like to go off on their own little adventures at some time or another.

The Bone Family said...

What a bummer! I am here at CP visiting my sister in law and family. My bro is in Iraq and she has three little ones who are handful. I feel sorry for the neighbors who have to listen to us because we have 6 kids here! It is SO LOUD!!

The older kids keep begging us to let them walk over to the park alone and we haven't been letting them. Now I really won't it would be awful if one of them walked off!