Sunday, April 23, 2006

Extracurricular activities.


I love reading. It's one of my favorite things to do. Not only can I visit other places, but I can learn things I never knew before. It's great. I think it's one of the best hobbies you could have.

I bought this book on sale at Copperfields last night while I waited for Mass. It's called Unvieled: The hidden life of nuns. It's very interesting. I grew up thinking I was going to be a nun. I went so far as to live in a community with other women who were discerning thier vocations, and we lived like nuns following a strict discipline of work and prayer. I even stayed with nuns when I visited Europe when I was 19. I loved it. I loved the way of life. I loved the community, the prayer, the work. But I discovered it wasn't for me. Obviously, because I have children and am married now. Anyway, the book chronicles the journey an Evangelical Protestant journalist took over course of 4 or 5 years living and praying with Catholic nuns of all different orders. She discovers they aren't the scary people that they are made out to be in movies and through stories from peoples childhood days in Catholic school. No doubt some of those stories are true, but there's more beyond that. It's quiet a good read. Makes me long to visit those places I've been. Maybe some day retreats will be a possibility when the kids are older and don't need me so much as they do now.
~~~
I'm truly loving my camera. Not only is it letting me document the kids lives, but it's letting me being "artistic" and document things that are interesting to me that I see all around me. I just wish I didn't forget to grab it all the time when I leave the house. It's frustrating to go out and see something and not be able to document it.
~~~
Today is Sunday...and what do you know-- it's SUNNY! It's really pretty out. I hope it warms up too. Then I could take the kids out in the yard and pull weeds or something. The yard is just begging for some attention. Didn't I say I was going to start a garden, also? Well I'd still like too, but we'll see how it goes.

No comments: